"...leaving a footpath for generations to follow."
The BMTA is working to establish and maintain good relations with the businesses listed here. Please be polite and respectful toward these service providers so that future hikers will also be welcome.
It is strongly suggested that hikers contact, in advance, each business they plan to rely on during a hike. Some are seasonal and others have limited off-peak operation. Be sure to confirm necessary details such as shipping address, open hours, services and supplies available, and payment methods accepted. Information provided here is not guaranteed. Please contact us with any corrections or additions.
Mail drop packages should have the hiker's name and "Please hold for BMT hiker" written clearly on the box. Many establishments will also ask that you write your estimated date of arrival on the package as well. Hikers should be prepared to show a picture ID to claim their drop boxes.
Businesses are listed in order of distance from the trail crossing.
Mileages (as with the entire BMTA website) are given from the southern terminus at Springer Mountain and assume northbound travel, toward Davenport Gap. References to "right" or "left" at crossroads use this convention.
Use caution when traveling by foot along any developed road.
Mileages are from the 2012-13 BMT Databook available which is available in our webstore. You can hike with the databook and the information on this page, or you can get the BMT Thru-Hikers Guidebook also available through our webstore that has this information listed.
Where 2 or more access points are listed for the same resource, the preferred one is asterisked (*). Ex: The Coker Creek Welcome Center and Post Office can be accessed at mile 123.6 (via TN Hwy 68) or at mile 128.3 (via the Unicoi Turnpike Trail and/or Joe Brown Hwy). The mile 128.3 access point is preferred because it is closer (and downhill!) so it is asterisked.
***Information last updated 3-30-2016***
Mile 17.9, Georgia Hwy 60, Skeenah Creek
• Skeenah Creek CG (0.5 mile to left): Located between Suches and Blue Ridge, GA. Skeenah Creek Campground, 20 Skeenah Gap Rd. Suches, GA 30572. 706-838-5500, 770-761-5300, or Email
Directions: Turn left on Hwy 60 (southbounders turn right) and walk 0.5 mile
Room Rentals: Farm house rooms, RV rentals and tent camping available on a daily rate basis. Please contact them directly for current rates.
Services: Kitchen facilities, bath house and mail drop available w/stay (request advance phone call to notify and reserve). The bath house is available without a stay for a small fee.
Hikers can visit their website Skeenah Creek Campground, for an overview of the facilities and contact information, or find them on FaceBook at Skeenah Creek Campground.
Mile 37.2, Shallowford Bridge at Aska Road
• Iron Bridge Cafe - 8436 Aska Rd., Blue Ridge, GA. 30513. Phone: 706-632-5060. Email: IronBridgeCafe@gmail.com. www.Facebook.com/IronBridgeCafe │ www.Twitter.com/IronBridgeCafe. See writeup in the April 2012 newsletter. (Right On The Trail...by Ralph Heller, page 13)
• Blue Ridge, GA (6.4 miles to right) - see listing below.
• Bear Rock Ridge B&B - 8.1 South on Big Creek Road. Sandy and Joe Germain are your gracious hosts and can assist you with any travel and sightseeing destinations. Shuttles to and from the trail between Blue Ridge and Springer Mountain with stay including leaving a car here while you hike. 881 Fox Mountain Road (off Big Creek Road and Big Creek Trail) Cherry Log, GA 30522, 706-273-6222 or 706-273-6221. Rooms: weekdays $79, weekends $99 per night for 2 people + $30 per each extra over 2, includes breakfast. Laundry, Internet computer, shuttles for resupply, large rec-room, and accepts mail drops. www.bearrockridge.com
Mile 46.6, Weaver Creek Road
• Various services in Blue Ridge, GA (5 miles to left on Weaver Creek Rd) - see listing below.
• Aska Lodge B&B - 2.9 East on Weaver Creek Road. Owners/Innkeepers Janet Clemons and Ric Altman (who are hikers themselves) are ready to welcome you to the North Georgia mountains. One night stays for hikers available during the spring and some summer months for $135.00/queen bed and $160.00/king bed. Rates are double occupancy only; per night/per room; stay includes breakfast. Please call to book in advance 706-632-0178. Mail drops are accepted for hikers staying overnight and shuttle to town for resupply. We are unable to accept pets. Aska Lodge B&B is a non-smoking facility. Hikers can visit our website at www.askalodge.net for more information.
Mile 49.2, Georgia Hwy 515/US Hwy 76
• Various services in Blue Ridge, GA (4.5 miles to right) Notes: Access to Blue Ridge, if needed. Closest approach is from GA 515/US 76 crossing. Directions: Where BMT emerges from forest and turns left onto Weaver Creek Road (dirt), leave BMT by turning right and go 3.7 miles to first stop sign, T-intersection with Aska Rd. Turn left (north) and follow Aska Rd 1.0 mile to dead-end stop sign on East 1st Street. Turn left and go 0.25 mile, passing Ace Hardware Store. Turn right onto Access Road at three-way stop sign and find grocery store on right. Across parking lot on left is Village Restaurant with all-you-can-eat country cooking. Services: Post Office (PO), hotels, grocery stores, restaurants.
• Gas Station and convenience store, Chevron (1.1 mile to right). Directions: Turn right (southbounders turn left) and proceed north on 4-lane divided Hwy 515/76 a distance of 1.1 miles to store on right. Services: Limited supplies, pay phone, microwave meals, drinks.
• Restaurant, Pink Pig (2.1 mile to left). 824 Cherry Log St., Cherrylog, GA 30522, Phone: 706-276-3311. Notes: A long-time favorite of the BMTA crew in Georgia for both the garlic salad and the barbeque. Open Thursday - Sunday. Closed: Monday-Wednesday Directions: Turn left (southbounders turn right) and proceed south on 4-lane divided Hwy 515/76 a distance of 1.9 miles to access ramp on left. (Pass Cherry Log Street at 1.1 mile; ramp is next paved road.) Proceed 300 feet down ramp to road intersection. For Pink Pig, turn left and go 0.1 mile. Services: Meals
• L& A Corner Grocery Store (2.1 miles to left), across the street from Pink Pig. 706-635-8851. M - Sat. 6 - 6. Good Grill! Friendly owners. Short Term resupply possible.
• Post Office, Cherrylog, GA (2.4 miles to left), 300 Cherry Log St. Cherrylog, GA 30522, Phone: 706-635-2705. Notes: Counter service Mon-Fri, 7:30 AM-4:30 PM and Sat 7:30 AM-11:30AM. Directions: Follow instructions to last road intersection for Pink Pig, above. For PO, turn right and go 0.4 mi to PO on left. Services: PO
Mile 91.7, US Hwy 64, Thunder Rock Campground/Ocoee Powerhouse #3
• Olympic Whitewater Center (1.1 mile to right) Olympic Whitewater Center 4400 Hwy. 64, Copperhill TN 37317. Phone: (877) 692-6050, Fax: (423) 496-1515. Notes: Run by the US Forest Service, this stop is recommended even if just passing through. See website for hours of operation. Directions: Turn right on Hwy 64 (southbounders turn left) and walk 1.1 mile to Whitewater Center on right. Services: Pay phone, water, soda and vending machines.
• Ducktown Copper Inn. 7.6 miles east on US 64. 178 5 Points Dr, Ducktown, TN. Phone: 423-496-5541. Winter $49 + tax, spring-fall $59 + tax per night. Hiker box on site, accepts mail drops sent to PO Box 98 Ducktown, TN 37326 or 178 5 Points Dr, Copper Hill, TN 37317. Laundry available. Can do shuttles to and from the BMT. Internet computer available for guests to use. Pets accepted for $20.
• Various services in Ducktown, TN (8 miles to right), US Post Office, 1656 Highway 68, Ducktown, TN 37326. Phone: 423-496-5467. Notes: Ducktown is a small town with most services needed by long-distance hikers. Directions: Turn right (southbounders turn left) and proceed east on 4-lane divided Hwy 64 a distance of 8 miles into town. Services: PO, Grocery Store, Gas Stations, Motel, Restaurants.
Mile 109.3, Hwy 30 at Hiwassee River Bridge
• Outfitter, Webb Brothers Store & Float Service (On BMT) Webb Brothers Store and Float Service. Box 61, Reliance, TN 37369. Phone: 423-338-2373, 877-932-7238 or Email. Notes: Open year-round. Business peaks on weekends, especially warm weather holidays. Directions: Where turning right (left for southbounders) at TN Hwy 30 on south side of bridge over Hiwassee River, walk a few paces into store. Services: Small store, pay phone, soda machine.
• Hiwassee Angler (Fishing), across the bridge from Webb Store. Phone:423-338-8500, Dean Tullock manager. Seasonal hours and days call ahead. Will hold mail drops sent UPS to 179 Tellico Reliance Rd, Reliance, TN 37369. Cabin rental available $124. www.hiwasseeangler.com
• Black Bear Cove Resort - 5842 HWY30 (or 5842 Kimesy Hwy), Benton, TN 37307. Phone: 866-438-4399. 5.3 West on HWY30. The Lilley family runs this secluded lodge and campground near Reliance. They love to service hikers, and offers shuttle to/from trail in Reliance with stay. Lodging Feb-Dec, Jacuzzi, RV sites, pay campsites, meals, laundry, camp store, phone, showers. Accepts mail drops with stay USPS use PO Box 127 Delano, TN 37325 UPS & Fedex use address above. Lodging $150+ in season/$99 off season. Camping $32 in season/$22 off season. Ask for hiker rates in all seasons for discounts. Meals: Tu-Sa 4:30p-9p, Su 11a-3p in season - off season Fr - Su only with same hours. Store: Short term resupply and snacks - planning to start offering Long term supplies. www.blackbearcoveresort.com
• Mile 109.6, Hiwassee Corner Market, 8758 Highway 411, Benton, TN, Phone: 423-338-9040. 0.5 West from Black Bear Cove Resort on Highway 30. LT resupply and meals.
Mile 110.0, Childers Creek Trailhead.
• Store: Reliance Fly and Tackle - 588 Childers Creek Road, Reliance, TN 37369. Phone: 423-338-7771. 0.6 West on Childers Creek Road. Newly re-opened for 2011, only store in Reliance area opened year round. Tu-Th 11a-7p, Fr-Sa 7a-9p, Su 7a-4p. Cabin in season weekday $75, weekend $100, out of season price varries. Campsite $25. Showers available w/o stay. Short term resupply, deli food, restrooms, maildrop with stay, call ahead first. relianceflyshop.blogspot.com
Mile 123.9, Tennessee Hwy 68
• Coker Creek Welcome Center and Post Office (4.5 miles to left) [See next entry.]
Mile 128.6, Unicoi Gap on TN/NC State Line
• Coker Creek Welcome Center and Post Office (3.0 miles to left)* Coker Creek Welcome Center. US Post Office, 12197 New Hwy 68, Coker Creek, TN 37314. Phone: 423-261-2286 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Notes: Friendly folks welcome hikers. It is possible to walk the historic Unicoi Turnpike Trail part way into town; it adds only a few tenths of a mile. Directions: Turn left (southbounders turn right) and follow gravel Joe Brown Hwy to intersection of TN Hwy 68. Visitor center is on corner. Services: Call to hold maildrops, gift shop with very limited snacks, soda machine, pay phone.
• Davis Mountain Market and Deli - BP 2.0 North past Coker Creek Welcome Center on Hwy 68. 11401 New TN-68, Tellico Plains, TN, 37385. 423-261-2618. Services: food, Short term resupply, restroom.
Mile 151.4, Tellico River Rd, FS 210
• Motel and small store, Green Cove Motel (1.4 miles to left). 2870 River Rd, Tellico Plains, TN 37385. Phone: 423-253-2069. Notes: Long-time owners, William and Katherine Crowe, welcome hikers. Becoming a must-stay location on the BMT. Possible shuttle back to trail. Directions: Turn left (southbounders turn right) and follow Tellico River Rd 1.4 miles to Green Cove Motel on left. Services: Call to hold maildrops, lodging, limited groceries and supplies, pay phone, microwave meals, soda machines.
• Tellico Plains is 20 miles west of this location and has almost all the services a hiker would want. Not an easy town to get to, but becoming popular with BMT hikers. US Post Office, 171 Bank St, Tellico Plains, TN 37385. Phone: 423-253-2218. Hours: 830a-4p Mo-Fr, 9a-12p Sa. Grocery, lodging, laundry, library, meals.
Mile 173.2, Crowder Branch Trail/Campsite
• For reliable water source during droughts, go to the west down the Crowder Branch Trail (#84) downhill and through the old orchard. After about 1000' you will leave the field and spot a campfire ring in front of you. This fire ring is made from the foundation stones of the old house. In front of you the trail crosses the very upper end of Crowder Branch. Turn right before crossing and follow the stream uphill to the covered spring. There is a short path leading down to the spring. The spring is rocked in on 3 sides with an old piece of tin covering the top. You will see a large tree that was cut from over the top of the spring to clear the access.
Mile 183.6, US 129, Bridge at Cheoah Dam
• 0.5 Miles east is the Topoco Lodge which is available, but prefers hikers to not use their services.
Mile 189.2, Intersection of NC Hwy 28 & US Hwy 129
• Lodging and Meals - The Dragons Den at Deals Gap. (On BMT). Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort 17548 Tapoco Rd, Tapoco, NC 28771. Phone: 800-889-5550. Open late March to mid November. The Dragon Den Grill hours Mo-Th: 8a to 7p Mo-Th, Fr-Su 8a-8p. Lodging is available at the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort - but they are almost always full, so do not expect to get a room unless you have a reservation. Rates $59 single/couple + $10 PP. Accepts mail drops (call ahead). Fresh water is available outside the outdoor bathroom which is in front of the motel. Camping is allowed on the grounds for $12 per tent and includes use of showers. A phone is on the wall between room 8 and 9 that is free to use (even when the Lodge is closed for the season) for local calls, or long distance if you have a calling card. You can use this phone to call Fontana or the Hike Inn. E-mail:email@example.com - web site: www.dealsgap.com
Mile 192.0, Twentymile Ranger Station, Smokies
• Potable water from faucet in season. A phone is here which can only call emergency services or the back country reservation desk.
Mile 197.1, Sassafras Gap at AT Intersection
• Fontana Dam (4.5 miles to right on AT)* [Preferable for southbounders.] Fontana Dam Visitor Center. Notes: Use pay phone on outside of building to call for shuttle to either Fontana Village or The Hike Inn. (See phone numbers below.) Heed posted warnings about water quality and don't drink it. Drinking fountains have been shut down. (One hiker tested positive for Hepatitis B after drinking water out of sink faucet.) Directions: Turn right (southbounders turn left) and follow Eagle Creek Trail 5.8 miles to Fontana Dam Visitor's Center. Services: Pay phone, hot showers.
• Fontana Village 2.1 miles west of the AT crossing on NC 28. Contact Fontana Village at phone 800-849-2258, 828-498-2211 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Notes: Call for $2 shuttle. Directions: Fontana Village is located 1.2 miles up dam access road to NC 28, then right 2 miles to office on left. Not recommended for walking due to hazards of narrow curvy road. Services: PO, lodging, meals, limited groceries and supplies, laundry.
• US Post Office: Fontana Dam, NC 28733, Phone: 828-498-2315. Notes: Located in Fontana Village
• Hike Inn: 6.0 miles east of the AT crossing at NC 28. The Hike Inn, 3204 Fontana Rd, Fontana Dam, NC 28733. 828-479-3677. Open Feb 15 to Jul 10 and Sep 1 to Dec 1, other dates by reservation only. A hikers-only inn, owned and operated by Jeff and Nancy Hoch. Thru-hikers, call from Deals Gap or Toccoa for reservations. Five rooms with max 2 per room. No credit cards. Thru-hikers (check in by 4p, check-out 9a - firm), $60S, $75D. Rate includes shuttle to and from dam, one load of laundry, evening shuttle to Robbinsville at 5p for dinner and supplies. Shuttles to/from points on the BMT extra, call for rates. Section-hikers, $40S/D (room only). Packages accepted c/o Hike Inn. Mail service $20 for nonguest. Shuttles, slack-pack, all fuels (canister incl). Internet access available. email: email@example.com, www.thehikeinn.com
Mile 200.6, Eagle Creek Trail Intersection
• Fontana Dam with access to store, lodging and most other services (5.8 miles to right)* [Preferable for northbounders.] Hike Inn - 5 miles S. on Rt 28. See above.
Mile 229.5, Noland Creek Trailhead, Fontana Road
• Bryson City, NC - 7.8 East. This is a hard hitch due to low traffic. Bryson City, NC is a bit out of the way for the BMT hiker but it is a resupply option if needed. Bryson City even offers a full service outfitter outside the city. Post Office: 130 Slope St, Bryson City, NC 28713. Phone: 828-488-3481. Hours: 830a-5p Mo-Fr 10a-12p Sa. Services: groceries, lodging, gear, laundry, library, meals, post office.
Mile 254.7, US 441, Smokemont Campground
• Various services in Cherokee, NC (6 miles to right on US Hwy 441). US Post Office. 671 Tsali Blvd., Cherokee, NC 28719. Phone: 828-497-3891. Notes: Cherokee, NC is a town of moderate size with most services needed by long-distance hikers. Directions: Turn right (southbounders turn left) and find Cherokee 6 miles straight ahead on US Hwy 441. Services: PO, hotels, grocery stores, restaurants, laundry
Mile 286.2, (TN Hwy 32/NC 284), Davenport Gap, AT Intersection, BMT Northern Terminus
• Hostel with most hiker services, including shuttles. (2.8 North on Chestnut Branch Trail and then 3.9 mi north on AT). Standing Bear Farm (hostel). Lodging - Standing Bear Hostel. On the AT 0.1 West on Green Corner Rd. 4255 Green Corner Rd., Hartford, TN 37753. Phone: 423-487-0014. Operated by Maria and Curtis Owen; $20pp cabin, $15 bunkhouse or tent site, includes hot shower, laundry, phone, Internet ($1 for 15 min), kitchen; camp store with enough trail foods and LT resupply to get you to Hot Springs or Fontana, including stove fuels by the ounce plus cook-your-own pizzas and sandwiches; dog-friendly; shuttles available; parking $2 per day; debit and credit cards accepted; for all services without stay, donations accepted. Offers kennel service $15 per day + $125 for drop-off/pick-up at Fontana. Holds packages and has loaner packs available for day hiking and slack-packing. www.standingbearfarm.com e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
BMTA Home Contact Us Site Map Events Membership Info
All content copyright © 2003-2016 by Benton MacKaye Trail Association, Inc. All rights reserved.
Photo courtesy of Diana Ristom